July 24, 2014
Students are expected to meet andadhere to the Code of Conduct set out in this policy while completing a programof study at Oshio College. If necessary,students should request clarification from the Principal. “Student” means a person who is presentlyenrolled at Oshio College, including the students participating in workexperience placements.
Code of Conduct:
While on Oshio College premises or inthe course of activities or events hosted by Oshio College students:
1. The above list sets out examples ofprohibited conduct. It is intended tohelp students understand the type of conduct that will be subject to disciplineand is not exhaustive. Students whoviolate the Code of Conduct will be subject to procedures and disciplineoutlined below, which may include immediate dismissal from the institution.
2. The process by which a student may bedismissed from a program is as follows:
· Allconcerns relating to student misconduct shall be directed to thePrincipal. Concerns may be brought bystaff, students or the public.
· Theprincipal will arrange to meet with the student to discuss the concern(s)within 5 school days of receiving the complaint. If the alleged conduct is of such a seriousnature that an immediate dismissal may be warranted, the Principal will meetwith the student as soon as is reasonably possible.
· Followingthe meeting with the student, the Principal will conduct whatever furtherenquiry or investigation necessary to determine whether the concerns aresubstantiated
· Anynecessary inquiries or investigations shall be completed within 5 school daysof the initial meeting with the student
· ThePrincipal will meet with the student and do one of the following:
a) Determine that the concern(s) wereunsubstantiated
b) Determine that the concern(s) weresubstantiated, in whole or in part, and either
i) Give the student a warning setting out theconsequences of further misconduct
ii) Seta probationary period with appropriate conditions; or
iii) Recommendthat the student be dismissed from Oshio College
· The Principal will prepare a written summaryof the determination. A copy shall begiven to the student, and the original placed in the student file.
· Ifthe student is issued a warning or placed on probation, the Principal and thestudent will both sign the written warning or probationary conditions and thestudent will be given a copy. Theoriginal document will be placed in the student’s file.
· Ifthe recommendation is to dismiss the student, the Principal of the institutionwill review the recommendation and accept or reject it. If the recommendation is accepted by thePrincipal, the Principal will meet with the student to dismiss him/her fromstudy at the institution. The Principalof the institution will deliver to the student a letter of dismissal and acalculation of refund due or tuition owing, in accordance with PTIB Bylaw 32. If the recommendation is rejected by theprincipal, the Principal will follow steps 5 through 7, above.
· Ifa refund is due to the student, Oshio College will ensure that a refund isforwarded to the student within 30 days of the dismissal.
Ifthe student owes tuition or other fees to the institution, Oshio College mayundertake the collection of the amount owing.